Search This Blog

Sunday, December 7, 2014

July 17th, 2006: My Day on Infamy


     Today marks the Anniversary of the bombing of Pearl Harbor and the sinking of the USS Arizona.  Three years ago, I wrote a descriptive essay for an English composition class about my visit to this historic site.  In retrospect, it was also a time when I initially experienced the power of universal energy, from the moment I stepped aboard the Arizona Memorial.  This was also the beginning of my journey towards self-discovery and a lifelong partnership with energy work.  I now share with you this essay in remembrance of the lives lost protecting our freedoms.  Enjoy:

USS Arizona
   “On December 7th, 1941 the USS Arizona was sunk in a matter of minutes when the Japanese attacked Pearl Harbor, carrying with it over 1,100 sailors.  Years later, a memorial was built, which now rests over the submerged Arizona as a lasting tribute to those entombed in its hull.  As both an American, and a veteran of the US Army, there was nothing more moving than my day spent on Infamy.

Entrance to Memorial
     It was an exceptionally clear blue sky the day I visited the Arizona Memorial and from a distance, it resembled the ribbed carcass of a giant white whale with a concave back.  An American flag flew proudly, approximately fifteen feet above on a steady pole.  As the transportation boat motored closer, my heart skipped a beat in anticipation of disembarkation.  The boat angled to a stop and was tied off to a small pier.  A sailor stationed at Pearl Harbor, grasped my right hand and assisted me on to the platform. I joined approximately 150 people and moved single file into the “mouth of the whale” (main entrance).   I looked up and saw large stone letters, mounted three feet above the entrance that hailed, “U.S.S. ARIZONA MEMORIAL”.


Inside the "Whale"
     I walked a few more feet into the memorial foyer and to the immediate right, a park ranger sternly reminded us that we stood on top of a gravesite, therefore respect was paramount.  The ranger was stationed in front of a backdrop of several flags uniformly lined up like soldiers in formation, and I recognized one to be the State Flag of Hawaii.  I looked straight back to the “tail of the whale”, and noted the arched support structures above me resembled ribs and intercostal spaces that formed seven openings on both the left and right sides of the memorial.  The single file line moved from the right, to the rear, and then the left side of the memorial.

Memorial Wall
     I leaned over one of the openings on the right side and noticed that the Arizona herself lied perpendicular to the structure and I vividly saw the outline of the forward area of the ship.  Oil from the engine room below bubbled to the surface and ebbed slowly out towards the Pacific Ocean.  As I walked to the rear or “tail”, I was greeted by a ten foot by ten foot marble wall that contained the names of the fallen that were buried with the Arizona.  A rope barrier, similar to one found in movie theaters, prevented me from approaching the wall, otherwise I would have traced my fingers in the engravings.  I made the turn towards the left side of the “whale” which allowed viewing of the aft area of the ship.  I noticed an elderly Japanese woman toss a flower into the water and my knees weakened.  Somehow, I knew she was connected to a sailor entombed below.  The most curious observation I made during my thirty minute visit was the reverent silence.  Not one of the one-hundred and fifty people spoke, and if I wanted, I could have heard a nickel fall on wet grass (if grass were nearby)
 
     I once again boarded the transportation boat for the return trip across the harbor.  As I looked back at the Memorial one last time, I pondered what life would be like if the war had gone the other way.  I thanked God that we won, otherwise, I may not enjoy the freedoms that I take for granted each day.  Freedoms, these fallen sailors no longer enjoy”.
 
 
Dedicated to those who lost someone on this pivotal day in our Nation's History
 


No comments:

Post a Comment