Search This Blog

Sunday, January 1, 2017

Heal Through Loving Compassion


     Several weeks ago, while in a deep relaxation during a kundalini yoga session I had the following dream.  I was on the USS Arizona Memorial and was sitting cross-legged in front of the wall that contains the names of those who perished with that ship on December 7th, 1941 – a date that will live in infamy.  While fully absorbed in this scene, I saw my younger self of no more than the age of six months come crawling up beside me. We looked at each other, then at the wall- repeating this pattern two more times. On the third time, I told my younger self to “Heal with Loving Compassion”.  At that moment, our instructor brought us out of the deep relaxation and I was left to ponder the meaning of this statement.  It was not until this morning as I sat and penned this post that it all came together on the first day of this brand-new year. 

      We were all placed on this Earth and given the ability to write our own narrative to leave an indelible mark on humanity.  Good or bad, right, or wrong it is our own unique journey to take.  Robert Frost wrote “Two paths diverged in a wood and I – I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference”.  Every January 1st, we make resolutions and set goals to help chart a new course on our journey to make this world a better place to live- or at least try to do so.  However, as it so often happens (as in years past), by the time February rolls around these resolutions have fallen by the wayside. 

     It isn’t that we did not want to carry these goals through to fruition, but rather life has a tendency of derailing our efforts (i.e. the obligations of daily living).  Inevitably, we become our own worst critic, beat ourselves up, become discouraged- and before you know it this cycle repeats itself in another brand- new year.  Let’s face it my friends, we can become our own best enemy on the road less traveled, but this is where heal through loving compassion enters the picture.

     When I first began to contemplate the meaning of this statement I thought it meant I needed to heal the world through loving compassion.  However, on this day of enlightenment-  January 1st, 2017, I realized that I must give loving kindness to myself, which in turn will allow me the honor and privilege of doing good works for others who are destined to cross paths with me in this lifetime.  2016 was a great year for me and towards its close I received my Reiki I and II attunements.  Not only can I provide Reiki for others (Level II), but even more importantly- I can give healing treatments to myself (Level I)- aka loving compassion.

     One of the first things the reiki student learns in class are the Five Reiki Principles which provide valuable guidance to one’s journey through life. I will leave you with these words of wisdom so that when life gets in the way of your new year’s goals- you can heal through loving compassion.  As you read and learn these precepts- remember that TODAY can become EVERY DAY.  You’ll figure it out.   I promise.

Happy New Year!!!!

Tim

The Five Reiki Principles

Just for today, I will let go of anger.

Just for today, I will let go of worry.

Just for today, I will count my many blessings.

Just for today, I will do my work honestly.

Just for today, I will be kind to every living creature.




No comments:

Post a Comment