Search This Blog

Tuesday, May 16, 2017

Forge a Purposeful Life in the Present


One trap that I frequently find myself falling into is dwelling on the past, or worrying about the future.  I know that I am not alone in this adventure because it is a time-honored part of our human nature.  However, what good does it do to fret about things that are already in the rearview mirror?  Even better- why all the angst about something that may never come to fruition?  Ah, the ping-pong effect of the monkey mind- it’s enough to drive one bat s**t crazy (pardon the expression).  So where am I going with all of this?  I’ll show you.


All too often we hold on to: hurt, sadness, grudges, perceived wrongs against us- the list is endless.  What purpose does it serve to still be angry about something someone may have said/done to us in high school (it happens)?  How many times have you heard about a family/friend feud that lasted for decades because of what turned out to be a small misunderstanding.  Some of the best years of our lives have been misspent because we drew a hard line in the sand.  This serves no great purpose other than to deplete our vital life force energy.  Always remember that the past is just that, and is often unchangeable unless we are willing to reach out and blur the lines on the beach.  What about things that are yet to come?

A purposeless routine that my monkey mind likes to do is create scenarios about future events.  I cannot tell you how much sleep I have lost during this exercise (I average 5 to 5 ½ hours as it is).  For example, the night before a staff meeting, I often visualize that said meeting is going to go a certain way- a person or persons is/are going to say something that leads to an argument.  Additionally, my brain almost always creates a negative outcome for the event, and as a result- I toss and turn all night.  And you know what?  99.999% of the time my little “play” was not even close to being accurate.  Do not get me wrong- planning for the future is a necessary part of life otherwise we would never have any goals, aspirations, or progress as individuals, the nation, and this world.  Forecasting the stock market trends is paramount to a healthy economy, not a negative scenario about trivial matters.  However, it is in the present where we can forge a more purposeful life.

It is often said that we are not granted tomorrow, so live as if it never comes.  Our lives are not measured in 24 hour increments, but rather by each tick of the clock (+/- one second).  A common scene that I encounter as a firefighter paramedic is the sudden cardiac death.  One second, a person was enjoying a quiet evening on his/her backyard deck, and the next- transitions from this world.  This passing of life happens in an instant, which leaves very little time to rectify the past or plan for the future.  We must learn to live a purposeful life on a moment by moment basis.  So, how can we do this?

One of my other occupations is that of a personal trainer/health coach on the campus of a local community college.  One of the greatest blessings that I receive as a trainer is to work with clients from all walks of life whom are my constant teachers and inspirations.  One of my newest clients is a retired healthcare professional who now devotes his time to helping children in Middle Eastern nations.  He described his post-retirement years as “the last great lap around the track” that he wants to make the most of.  He further related that our mission as an inhabitant of this Earth is to commit to a life of service to others.  I found that to be one of the most profound statements that I ever heard in my life, and I am honored to have crossed paths with him in this lifetime. 
To me, a purposeful life calls us to do what motivates, inspires, drives us to do the greatest for the common good of humanity.  Be it volunteering, donating to charitable causes, participating in an all village cleanup day, or mentoring the next generation the best way we can.  Our job is to prepare the next ones in line to make the future their own by improving on what we have started. To do this we must live in the present because as the saying goes “Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away”.  

Stay grounded, stay purposeful- and don’t let the monkey mind get the best of you.  Until next time.

Be
Tim


No comments:

Post a Comment