Search This Blog

Sunday, June 21, 2015

Swimming in Love


     Today is the beginning of the summer solstice which also marks the day that God gave life to my beloved wife Judy.  Every year the Universe sends me a gift idea that seems to rival no other, and this year was no different.  After all, she is my best friend in the whole wide world, and her love for me is the very reason that I have stuck it out as long as I have as a firefighter and paramedic.  So, what message did the Universe send me this time?

     One publication that I subscribe to is called the Fra Noi, which is a magazine dedicated to all things Italian in the Chicagoland area.  Each month, the Community Highlights section of this publication profiles the work of local Italian-Americans, and here is where I found the most extraordinary gift for Judy.  In a recent issue, columnist Lou Carlozo profiled the work of an award-winning poet by the name of Cin Salach (People’s Poet, May, 2015).  This column focused on the work Ms. Salach does with her business called Poemgrown, which is absolutely extraordinary. 

     With Poemgrown, Cin creates personalized poetry for customers to mark any occasions, such as a birthdays or weddings. When I read this article, I knew that this connection was going to be something very special indeed, so I gave Cin a call and began the most amazing journey.  Basically, Cin conducted a phone interview with me, sent an email with a series of thought-provoking questions, a follow up phone call to review my answers, and then the magic of love began.  Cin told me that she was going to sit with all that I had given her for a few weeks and then send me the first draft for revisions. 

     When I read the first draft (that only needed minor changes), I was overwhelmed and beside myself.  Cin Salach artfully created the most beautiful soliloquy which expressed my truest feelings for Judy that were locked in the deepest recesses of my subconscious mind.  This journey, by far, was one of the most cathartic and healing experiences to date I have had in all my years on Earth (thanks, Cin).  From God’s lips to a poet’s hands, I present to you:

 
 

Swimming in Love

 

For Judy

 

Twenty two years ago, the eyes of my heart

heard the song of your soul and wept,

knowing this music was ancient and true.

 

Born on the summer solstice,

the most light-filled day of the year,

you cast away darkness every time

 
 
you look at me. You are the sun, Judy,

And I am the moon reflecting your light.

I thank the world for who you are

 

and all that your being brings.

Each morning is a gift to unwrap,

each day ends like this:

 

Us laughing. Then your arms around me,

love connecting us even as we sleep,

Vino too! Our family circle complete.

If I could renew my gratitude for you

the way we renewed our vows, on an island,

against a sunset, at the edge of a volcano,

 

nature reminding us of her beauty and

our place in this world,
 
 
 
I would tell you: Love,

 

love like yours can only come from God.

I would tell you that in a poem, Judy

and read it to you again and again,

 

whenever you wanted to hear it, or

whenever I was moved by our love,

which is always, which is now.

 

Because of you, I didn’t walk away from my life
as public servant, I didn’t walk away from my self.

I kept my eyes open, my heart present,

 

while you saw the wholeness of me

and shined it back.

You are my once-in-a-lifetime,

 

my holy treasure.

The hand I want to hold always

and forever. Wherever life takes us

 

from here, we will go together.

Arms and hearts entwined,

watching for rainbows

 

and one monarch butterfly.

Knowing without a doubt

we are, and always will be,

 

swimming in love.

 

Written by cin salach and commissioned by Tim

on the occasion of true love, and Judy’s birthday, June 21st, 2015

 

No comments:

Post a Comment