Search This Blog

Tuesday, December 23, 2014

A Good Guy Who Is Winning


It is always reported in the media that during the Christmas Holiday season we see a spike in cases of depression, suicide, and suicide attempts.  In my 20+ years of experience as a paramedic with the Alsip Fire Department, I find this not to be the case.  Depression and suicide/attempts seem to be a year-round occurrence with no end in sight.  Our world seems to be out of balance and many people are falling into a downward spiral of despair.

     I have never experienced severe depression and therefore, do not know what it is like to walk in the shoes of those that do.  I can only speak to what it is like to be left behind in the wake of a suicide, as has been chronicled since the inception of this blog.  Today, I am going to introduce you to a new-found friend of mine who is a fellow firefighter named Steve.

     I was connected with Steve a few months ago when he was directed my way for help in writing a blog.  Steve, in his own right, has an incredible story of survival to tell about his battle with depression.  He is someone who has walked in the very shoes I do not. Although the target audience of his blog reaches out to fellow firefighters who share a similar experience as himself, do not let this deter you, or anyone you might know (who may be depressed or suicidal) from reading the content.   Steve does not speak from a firefighter’s perspective, but rather a human being whose mission it is to provide hope to others through his own life’s lessons.  You can find the link to his blog in the right hand column of this page or, at Depression in the Firehouse.
 

     Steve is very open and honest about his struggles.  However, from the phone conversations I have had with him, he is winning and wants others to do the same.  It is for this reason that I consider him a personal hero. 

     In staying true to this blog’s format, I leave you with a song by Jimmy Buffett titled “Good Guys Win” which says it all.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year,

Tim

Copyright Disclaimer: Under Section 107 of the Copyright Act 1976, allowance is made for fair use for purposes such as criticism, comment, news reporting, teaching, scholarship, and research. Fair use is a use permitted by copyright statute that might otherwise be infringing. Non-profit, educational or personal use tips the balance in favor of fair use.
 
 
 

2 comments:

  1. Excellent. I love seeing this connection. Thank you, Tim and Steve too, for sharing and connecting us further to useful information and wonderful people! Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Sarah,
    This has been an amazing year of healing and gratitude for me. I have met so many awesome people along this journey who have truly made a difference in my life.

    ReplyDelete