Search This Blog

Wednesday, October 28, 2015

The Only Way to Truly Heal is by Taking the First Step


     Something most every one could agree upon is that life is never easy, and nobody said it would be.  During the last year-and-a-half of my healing journey, I have met many individuals (a majority through peer support) who carry personal pain they avoid, deny, or do not share with others.  Every human who walks this planet has a story to tell which has had a profound effect on him/her, to the point it has stifled their true life’s purpose.  I know because I have been there, and done that.  So, what is the only way to truly heal?  Take the first step.
 
 
     One great way to begin healing is to share your story, because the more you tell it- the easier it becomes.  I have had the opportunity to tell my story repeatedly in peer support presentations, to a counselor, an acupuncturist, a chiropractor, and even a yoga instructor.   However, I was truly taken outside of my comfort zone when I had to tell it before the cameras.  A couple of months ago, myself and other members of Illinois Firefighter Peer Support participated in the filming of a video which explains the purpose of the team’s existence.  We each shared our personal pain, and then related what it means to be a part of something so great.

     Even though many of us have been part of the team for a while, every time I watch this video, I can literally feel the healing effect that opening up to the world had on each participant.  I have said this at least once before: SHARING=HEALING.  One of the greatest lessons I learned over the last 18 months is that when it comes to healing, no one is going to do it for you- you must do it for yourself.  Otherwise, you will most assuredly be held back from fulfilling your destiny, whatever it may be.  The caveat is that once the pain is released, you can no longer let it control your being.  The echoes of the mind will never let you forget, but in the face of adversity always have the courage to take the high road.

     Some of you may have seen this before, but I leave you with a fine example of what it means to take the first step on the road to a more balanced existence:
 
 
 
 
In health and wellness,

Tim

No comments:

Post a Comment