Search This Blog

Thursday, February 5, 2015

My Forever Goodbye to a Friend


     Today marks the 17th anniversary of my friend “Little Dicky’s” suicide.  Last year at this time (in this blog), I recounted the events of that fateful night as well as the aftermath that led me down a road to a 16 year struggle with PTSD.  As you may recall, I assembled my own holistic team which included professional counseling, acupuncture, and reiki healing treatments.  Two months into this journey I wrote a letter to my friend with the intention of leaving it at his grave site (see A Letter About the Greatest Lesson in Life . . . Letting Go).  Today marks a peaceful epilogue to this story which I will now relate.
    During the last several days my soul was restless as I anticipated this fast approaching date, which in 1998, was the exact same day of the week (Thursday).  I was not sure how I was going to react when today dawned, but knew in my heart and soul that I was going to finally complete this year long trip around the dark side of the moon and back.  I began the morning with a Kundalini yoga practice to center myself.  This form includes a meditative thought process where the practitioner looks inward towards the deepest part of his/her soul (at least this is my interpretation).  At the end of an hour and fifteen minutes, I was more relaxed than I had been in days.  The greatest challenge for me was going to be an acupuncture session later in the day.
     The last time I met with Erin, I said that when she saw me again it would be the anniversary of an event that brought me to see her in the first place.  Prior to the session, I told Erin that no matter what happens, we will not stop the treatment even if it brought me back to an unpleasant experience. She told me that this was a great attitude, and that all of our hard work together would bring me just rewards.  Today’s healing was a spiritual cleansing and she inserted needles into acupuncture points to form what is known as Buddha’s Triangle.  This type of treatment is reserved for special events such as today, and was going to assist in creating the inner peace that I have longed for over 17 years.  I am happy to report that the session was unremarkable, and Buddha’s Triangle lived up to expectations.  I have finally moved back into the light.
     Immediately following this experience I went to “Little Dicky’s” grave and taped my letter to the granite wall.  As I walked away, I smiled knowing that I would never have to look “over the shoulder of my mind” ever again.  In that peaceful few moments, I had said my forever goodbye to a friend.  I will always remember the time we had together on this Earth, as well as the lessons learned from this life experience.  After all the physical, mental, and emotional struggles I faced, it all boils down to this one phrase: QUIET THE MIND AND THE SOUL WILL AWAKEN.  Know that I am fine- I am well, and ready to walk through the next door on my journey towards a more balanced existence.

 

In health,

Tim
 
 

2 comments:

  1. Congratulations on your successful journey. I am so proud of you; and even more so, I admire you. Thank you for being in my life. You are incredible. Aloha. Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sarah,

    Thanks so much for the kind comments. The work you do on behalf of the fire service will never be forgotten, and I am living proof of this.

    Mahalo nui loa,

    Tim

    ReplyDelete