Search This Blog

Thursday, January 9, 2014

My Road. . .


Every road less traveled, and every new journey taken, must begin from somewhere. One of the greatest gifts that we have been given is that of the power of observation. We must use this gift to our advantage when we seek to change our destinies. Approximately 6 years ago I was 5' 8" and 186 pounds and the department doctor told me I was pre-diabetic based on the lab results of my annual physical.  I am now 155 pounds and have consistently maintained this weight for the past five years. Here is the beginning my story on the road to wellbeing.

Over 19 years ago I began a career in the fire service, and it has been the greatest honor for me to preserve, protect, and defend those in need. Back then, I was young and idealistic to think that I could change the world with the gift of healing that was bestowed upon me. After all, my Mom always said that I do God's work. Then the years passed quickly, and I came to realize that my job was to treat the immediate threat to a patient (stop the bleeding, if you will) and never really make a difference in improving his or her quality of life.

My journey into the world of natural medicine began in early 2008 when I realized that I was more than halfway through my career as a lieutenant/paramedic with the Alsip Fire Department. During my tenure of aiding those in need, I have observed a common thread with all my patients: most took what resembled a pharmacy of medications of which, none seemed to improve their quality of life (me in the future, based on that annual physical).  I thought to myself "There has to be better choices than this to stave off chronic illness and disease". I knew in my heart there was another mission in life for me after the fire department. As a lieutenant, I found this to be equally parallel when handling the daily problems of station life. No matter how hard I try, or what strategy I use, I can never seem to get a colleague to really talk about what is bothering him or her. A problem is always resolved with the proverbial Band-Aid.

It was around this time that an epiphany occurred. I was watching a new TV program in which they introduced one of the characters as an acupuncture student. I became intrigued and began a Google search into alternative and complementary (natural) medicine which led me to what was then called the Australasian College of Health Sciences, now American College of Healthcare Sciences, based in Portland, Oregon. After careful consideration, I enrolled in the Holistic Health Practice Diploma program and away I went.

Immediately, I was opened up to the world of natural health with my knowledge limited (at that time) to the chiropractor I had been seeing for over 12 years. Class after class, I expanded my understanding of the subject matter and quickly learned that the answers I was seeking (to improve the quality of life) were now before me. The greatest experience about being a student at ACHS were the assignments and labs for each module. These exercises allowed me to become a human experiment, learning as I went.  As a result, the personal changes I have experienced in my health can readily be shared with others. After all, and educator in this field should be able to walk the walk, and talk the talk.

Making changes in our life is one of the hardest things we will ever have to do, especially when it comes to our own health. However, the rewards and benefits we reap can be great if we just take Robert Frost's road less traveled. What I ask from each and every one of you, my readers, is to take this journey with me. Ask questions and share your stories. Let's learn from each other about what worked and what didn't work, in a personal quest for a balanced life.

I am going to leave you with a quote from Lynn Tryba, editor of Taste For Life Magazine, that truly captures the essence of what our community is going to be all about: "I'm no expert, but I have seen people change. They share five traits: They accept themselves and concentrate on their strengths; they pay attention to how their healthy choices make them feel; they get support; they withstand the discomfort of change until it becomes their new norm; and they start small and build on their successes" (2014).

 

                                                                                    Yours in health,

 

                                                                                    Tim

 

This article is for informational purposes only. It is not intended to treat, diagnose, cure, or prevent disease. This article has not been reviewed by the FDA. Always consult with your primary care physician or naturopathic doctor before making any significant changes to your health and wellness routine.

 

American College of Healthcare Sciences (2014).  Homepage.  Retrieved from http://www.achs.edu/ on 1/9/2014. 

Tryba, L. (2014, January). Is This Your Year? Taste for Life Magazine, 6.

No comments:

Post a Comment