Search This Blog

Wednesday, April 15, 2015

On Becoming Aware of Awareness


     In my blog post titled What Does it Mean to be Mindful (2/3/15), I described the basic principles of the Mindfulness Based Stress Reduction (MBSR) program that I was about to participate in.  Eight weeks flew by quickly, and before I knew it the course had come its conclusion.  However, I realized that it was merely the beginning of what will be a life-long practice on becoming aware of awareness.



     During those eight weeks, I learned about the difference between the stress reaction and the relaxation response and how this can affect both our physical and mental well-being (in both positive and negative ways respectively).  Tools such as the body scan, lying down yoga, and sitting meditation were offered as peaceful alternatives to the angry outbursts, insomnia, and physical distress that often accompany both acute and chronic stress.  The key to my success on this recent journey was to ask myself “What is called for in this moment?” and respond accordingly in a non-judgmental way towards myself and others.
 
 
     Additionally, I learned that with greater awareness to how I react when under stress will afford me the opportunity to respond constructively versus destructively, thereby bringing a sense of inner peace that knows no bounds.  The instructors emphasized that we are all not perfect beings and will have occasional hiccups on our quest for a more balanced existence.  The key to success is to maintain, with due diligence, a meditative practice long after the class has ended.  I encourage any of my readers to consider taking the online MBSR course as offered by SoundsTrue  It is by no means easy to take a look at oneself in the mirror, but the rewards can be great if you stick with it.

     As a way of providing insight into the wonderful world of mindfulness, I leave you with the following Q and A that I completed as part of the final course assessment:

What was your primary intention for participating in this course?

My primary intention was to find the tools I needed to help me to reduce my stress levels.  I was drawn to this course as it would show me not a practice, but a way of life.

What outcome were you hoping to achieve by taking this course?

To find out that I have it within me to be non-judgmental about thoughts, feelings, or encounters with others and myself.

Specifically speaking, what did you get out of the program, if anything?

I learned that I am completely capable of navigating through this large, yet seemingly small world of ours with a more balanced and positive outlook on life.

What are the lessons you will take with you as you move beyond this course work?

The greatest gift I can give to myself is to make time each day to retreat into a peaceful corner of my world.  To be able to breathe deeply, and exhale all that does not serve me well.  The more I practice, the more grounded I will become.

What sacrifices did you make? What were the costs to you?

The only real sacrifice was the time that was needed to put into the practice.  This was never an inconvenience for me because I was more than 100% committed to the course and all it was going to offer me.  I always found the time to make time for myself.

What obstacles did you encounter and what did you learn about yourself in working with these obstacles?

I found that I have an active mind which can wander quite frequently.  Many times my mind will craft and outcome to a future event which 99.99999% of the time never came to fruition the way I imagined it.  More often than not, the outcome was way better than I anticipated.  I learned that through careful attending to my feelings and how my body reacts to stressful situations, I can pause and then respond more appropriately to what is before me at that moment.

How will you continue to practice now that this program is over? Be specific!

The meditation practices that I learned in this course are yet more tools to add to my wellness toolbox to aid me in my continued healing from PTSD.  I have taken up the practice of Kundalini yoga which incorporates meditation into this form.  I will continue with my acupuncture treatments where I meditate during the session to strengthen my resolve.  Furthermore, I will show others the MBSR way (as a personal trainer, firefighter, and peer supporter) as a viable, healthy stress reduction alternative.

What additional resources have you been able to identify that are available to you to continue strengthening your practice?

1. The continued practice of Kundalini yoga.

2. Acupuncture

3. Nutrition response testing to help my stressed organs heal.

4. Chiropractic care.

5. I am going to seek out meditation retreats that are in my area to continue this wonderful journey that I have begun in these last 8 weeks.

6. I will participate in the live day of Mindfulness or use one of the previously recorded versions.




Resources

Meleo-Meyer, F. & Santorelli, S. The MBSR Online Course: An 8-Week Training in Mindfulness Based Stress Reduction.  Retrieved from http://www.soundstrue.com/store/the-mbsr-online-course-3226.html on 2/3/2015.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment