Search This Blog

Sunday, October 5, 2014

To My Best Friend in the Whole Wide World


Today marks the 18th anniversary when Judy and I pledged our love in good times and in bad, in sickness and in health, for richer or poorer, until death do us part.  What I realized then, still holds true today: I married my best friend in the whole wide world.
 
 

     Eighteen years have gone by like a blink of an eye, and in that time we have already shared a lifetime of experiences.  Along the way we have widened a circle of friendship which has enriched both of our lives.  We have also witnessed good friends and parents pass on to the next life, all the while standing by each other's side in comfort and support.
 

    Since I began this blog in January, I have chronicled my struggle with PTSD and have shared it with you, my readers.  For the better part of our marriage I struggled with the disorder, not fully understanding the extent of the effect that it would have on others (most notably, Judy).  I never dealt with conflict in a rational manner.  I know there must have been many times when Judy wanted to bang her head off a wall when I acted like one of her third graders.  I opened up to my counselor and told her that a lesser person might have walked away from this situation.  Judy did not, and that has been the key to my successful recovery.  That, my friends, is how I know that I am married to my best friend.





     Earlier this summer, we made our third trip to Hawaii and spent 10 days on the Big Island.  I had decided that as a way to honor Judy for the woman and friend that she is, I would surprise her with a renewal of our vows at the Old Kona Airport State Park.  This, by far was the most beautiful place on the planet to which we have bore witness.  A couple of days after the ceremony we joked that this was truly our second honeymoon.  While driving back from the Volcano, we heard a song on the radio titled Love and Honesty by the Hawaiian Style Band. We both remarked that the lyrics to the song captured the essence of that night perfectly.  Listen to the following YouTube video which will transport you back to that night as we experienced it.












 

Happy Anniversary, my best friend.

Love Always and Forever,

Tim

2 comments:

  1. Aloha from Kona, Hawaii. This is such a wonderful report. It was such a delight meeting you both and a joy to be able to photograph your celebration here on the Big Island. Wishing you both a world of Love, Joy and Peace for many years to come.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks again so much for everything Glen. The first picture in this post is one of my favorites. :)

    ReplyDelete