Search This Blog

Saturday, August 29, 2015

Never Say Can’t: The Indomitable Spirit of Humanity


Indomitable: That cannot be subdued or overcome, as persons, will or courage, unconquerable: an indomitable warrior (2015).

     Have you ever caught yourself throwing a pity party for and extensive period of time, and just bemoaning your fate?  Heaven knows I can say I have been there, done that, and got the free t-shirt.  As an almost 21 year member of the fire service I can say that it has been an honor and a privilege to answer the call for service to help others in need.  Yet all too often, I have found myself or colleagues, complaining of this, that, or the other thing (mainly of a trivial nature).  How is it that we can have the best job in the world, yet still find fault?  A common theme amongst firehouse mantras begin with the words “I can’t”, or “they can’t make us do that!”  Can’t make us do what? Our job? Guess again.

     Last week, a friend and I were discussing this common theme that plagues not only the fire service, but humanity in general.  My thoughts then turned to those who would do anything to have my job (and probably never complain), but circumstances prevent them from otherwise doing so.  I am talking about those that have physical or developmental disabilities.  Annually, the Special Olympics sponsors regional competition, and then converge every four years for the Special Olympics Games held in a host nation.  Some of the most heartwarming images of these warriors are captured for posterity, with the intent of inspiring a nation.     I then asked my friend (whose brother has cerebral palsy) if his sibling ever begrudges or complains about his condition, and the answer was a resounding no.
     Not only do we have the Special Olympians, we also have the para-athletes (wheelchair bound or not), many whom have come from the ranks of the combat military that served in the Middle East.  The stories of these individuals are equally inspiring.  Then there is the non-athlete such as my cousin who has been battling Multiple Sclerosis for several years now.  He told me one day that “I may not have much strength in my left leg, but God is letting my right still work so I can drive.” How inspiring is that?
 
     Granted, there are many people with similar circumstances who may not have as a positive outlook on life.  However, in my humble opinion, there is a common theme that runs amongst those that do.  For each gold medal won, or basketball sank (from the vantage point of a wheelchair), or every gallant step taken, or car driven these true heroes show us this: That they ungrudgingly have the courage to rise above their lot in life and display the indomitable spirit of humanity to the tune of Never Say Can’t.
 
     I have the greatest amount of respect for these people, and use the example they set as a constant reminder that I have nothing to complain about, and everything to be grateful for, no matter what has come before, or lies ahead as the years march on.  I leave you with this as food for thought.

 

In health and wellness,

Tim

References

Definition of Indomitable. (2015). Dictionary Reference. Retrieved August 28th, 2015, from http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/indomitable
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment