Search This Blog

Sunday, June 1, 2014

Paying It Forward . . . A Gift to Ourselves and Humanity





     Pay it forward, one good turn deserves another, or pass it on.  No matter how you say it, giving without expecting anything in return is what the Aloha Spirit is all about.  The more we pay it forward, the better off humankind will become.

     In the early morning hours following my 50th birthday ,  I reflected on how I was bestowed with many healing gifts (counseling, chiropractic care, and acupuncture) on the first day of a new decade of life.  I thought about how I had suffered in silence for 16 + years with PTSD.  Though it may have been hard, in the end it was well worth the lessons learned.  Where once I was blind to all the goodness this world has to offer, now I can see.

     It was destiny that in the year 2014 my path would cross with others who represent goodness and are showing me the way.  First, and foremost I thank my wife Judy.  For without her patient and loving ways throughout these many years, I would not be telling this story to others.  I would have walked away from the best profession in the world and just suffered in silence.  Judy is my true soul mate and I am the luckiest man in universe to have found her.

     Next comes the best holistic team that has ever been assembled on my behalf.  Sarah (my counselor),  Erin (acupuncturist), and Lynn (Reiki Healer).  They are working earnestly as my mentors of healing to guide me through the door to freedom, never to look back at my former self.  Soon, very soon, I will be kicked from the nest with a renewed sense of the Aloha Spirit!!!!  Another special shout out goes to Dr. Elizabeth Cutright of Lepar Animal Hospital.  If it were not for her suggesting I go to the Natural Health Improvement Center in Alsip, I would have never met Erin and taken the journey on the road to wellness.

     Finally, I want to thank Chief Pat Kenny of the Western Springs (IL) Fire Department.  I was told by Sarah that I needed to listen to his story on how he survived the suicide of his own son, Sean.  Here is a man that faced a tragic event that no parent would ever want to endure, and took the lessons learned to teach the fire service (specifically) and humankind (in general) about behavioral health issues that affect us all.  He is a true role model for us all. This my friends is what paying it forward is all about: pass on what you have learned so that others may benefit.

     As I take this journey I always think to myself that I will owe each and every one these people a debt of gratitude that can never be repaid in my lifetime.  Being the consummate healers that they are each one would say" Whatever" or  "You owe me nothing".  The common thread amongst them is that they tell me to "Just get well".  These people intuitively understand what the Aloha Spirit is all about:  do for others without expecting anything in return.





     It is now my turn to pay it forward.  I will work earnestly as a holistic healer, personal trainer, and Firefighter Peer Supporter to help others in kind that are experiencing similar circumstances.  I reached out to Captain Jeff Dill who heads the Firefighter Behavioral Health Alliance (FBHA), here in Illinois.  This organization is the only one in the country that collects data on firefighter suicides as well as how it affects those left behind.  In 2015, the FBHA will be hosting a Suicide Survivor Retreat possibly in Nashville, Tennessee.  During this 3 day event, the FBHA is looking for speakers that are "experienced in grief, coping with suicide, stigma, motivational, stress relief, where to get help, etc. to present to families of suicide victims in the fire service."
    I told Captain Dill of my interest and said it would be an honor, if chosen, to tell my story.   I can think of no greater way to honor my mentors than by passing on my lessons learned to others in need.  ALOHA!!!   To start, I leave you with this inspirational quote that was passed on to me:
 
 
 
 
 

2 comments:

  1. As everybody else said, it's better to give than to receive. And people keep on shopping for the best gift he/she can buy for a person.

    ReplyDelete
  2. really nice post.. Kieran Finnegan is a well-known name in the field massage therapy in Australia. He is considered as one of the top-notch Chiropractor Waterloo, owing to his superb understanding and practical knowledge of SLM (Steve Lockhart Myotherapy) & other natural therapies. Further, Kieran has over a decade of experience in this domain, hence is the most preferred chiropractor.

    ReplyDelete