Search This Blog

Wednesday, June 4, 2014

A Letter About the Greatest Lesson In Life . . . Letting Go


     When one enters the Fire Service he or she joins a unique subculture.  A show of acceptance is to receive a firehouse nickname.  Now granted, not all names are flattering, but if it is endearing it means you have made the grade.  It just depends on your reputation (hint, hint).  The following letter is written to my departed comrade using our nicknames as only he could remember them.

Dear "Little Dicky",

     It has been over 16 years since we last spoke and alot has happened during that time period.  Your sudden departure from this Earth left those of us on the department in a world of hurt, but our culture at the time dictated that we suck it up and move on.

     Not so for me Little Dicky.  Several years later I still harbored ill will towards the department because I thought they let you down, and did not help enough.  For years I carried this guilt around as to why I could not see this coming, or what could I have done differently.  I never, ever have been angry at you, just the department.  Alas, my friend as you will soon learn that anger was misdirected because at the time, we were not equipped with the resources to aid us in our grief.  I bet you laughed at each time I was in the Chief's office getting lectured about my bad attitude.  Something I laughed myself about from time to time.  Judy always reminded me that we could live on her salary alone.  As she put it, mine paid for the house,  and hers the garage.  I am so glad that I listened to her sage advice.

     As life would have it, I pushed onward and upward, buried my memories, and did what was necessary to both forget and survive your suicide.  Again, our department culture at the time mandated it.  I was told to lose the attitude or else.  Back then I just could not put a finger on what was my real issue at heart.  I am sure you know that I was promoted to lieutenant, and if you were still around you would have been likewise.  The early years of my new position found me being tested by my former blue shirt peers.  One of my biggest problems back then and even just a few months ago, was the inability to effectively deal with conflict.  I ruled by emotion instead of critical thinking.  Eventually I settled in and settled down.

     As time continued to march on, I earned a diploma in Holistic Health Practice and even became a personal trainer.  My goals are to help others live a more healthy and balanced life, especially those of us around here who like to indulge in milk shakes and every cake, pie, and cookie that comes along during the holidays (Ha Ha).  In order to take care of others we must take care of ourselves first (physically and mentally).  My intent was to establish my own business and show others the way.  However, something had always held me back.  It nagged at me but I could not place it.  Here, Little Dicky is where I get down to the heart of the matter.

     A few months ago I was asked to present your story at a trauma and first responders workshop conducted at Lewis University.  To prepare for this event, I had to re-live an unexamined life.  The 15 minutes I was given on that day were the longest I could have ever imagined.  What I thought was buried, resurfaced like a raging storm.  I looked into the proverbial mirror and realized what had held me back and caused me angst all these years: PTSD.



     I also recently became a member of the Illinois Firefighter Peer Support Group and completed initial training this past April.  During this class I hit my breaking point with the PTSD and realized I was in over my head.  I needed help to work through the mental and emotional scars.  I even convinced myself that you took part of my soul with you on that fateful night, when  in fact, I was only side tracked.  However, with the help of a group of trusted advisors that were assembled at my request to aid my healing (in the form of Peer Support, counseling, acupuncture, and reiki) I am now living a more balanced and peaceful existence.  It is a work in progress, but have made great strides in just a couple of months time.

     They continue to teach me that it was okay to experience these emotions and to cry about them.  More importantly, they have helped me to harness the emotions, confront them, and take the positive lessons learned to pay it forward and help others in kind.  Just remember my friend, that throughout the course of history, in the wake of any natural disaster there always, always is a rebuilding.  I am now resetting my foundational supports and it sure does feel great.

     Now about this peer support group.  I wish we had it back then as it would have helped us to redefine our cultural thinking: that asking for help in the realm of behavioral health is not a sign of weakness, but rather a show of courage and strength.  I am earnestly going to work as a member to spread this message, and your story as a lesson learned.

     In closing,  I want to share with you a common thread that my mentors (advisors) have taught me:  the greatest thing I can do right now is to let it (you) go.  They are talking about the angst, guilt, raw emotions, and ill will that I experienced and have never served me well.  Therefore, I leave you with this greatest lesson as only the Zac Brown Band can tell it.  The next time we talk will be when I see you on the other side.  So, until then, rest well and in peace.

 

                                                                                    Your friend always,

 

                                                                                    "Krusty"

PS.  Somebody showed me your picture the other day.  Nice mustache (you know they are back in style).
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment